Wrinkles occur all over the body, including the forehead, due to the natural process of aging. The skin remains taut and wrinkle-free due to the elasticity, strength, and structural integrity provided by collagen and elastin. As one ages, the production of these two components decreases considerably leading to formation of wrinkles.
Wrinkles occur in both young and old people. Young people experience dynamic wrinkles; the wrinkles occur during a smile or a frown and disappear after the specific emotion ceases. As one ages, the skin’s elasticity diminishes and it can no longer easily spring back to its normal wrinkle-less self. The result is formation of permanent grooves in those facial areas where wrinkles usually form during expression of varied emotions. Such lasting grooves are called static wrinkles; they usually affect older people.
Forehead wrinkles can occur horizontally and appear as grooves across the forehead, or it can appear as vertical lines, especially between the eyebrows.
Forehead wrinkles can be eliminated naturally, or via home remedies, medical treatment, and/or lifestyle changes.
Causes of Forehead Wrinkles
Aging is the most common cause of forehead wrinkles. The skin abnormality may also appear due to the following reasons:
- Prolonged exposure to sunlight can trigger the onset of forehead wrinkles.
- Smoking facilitates the appearance of forehead wrinkles from a very young age.
- The elastic properties and overall health of the skin is dependent on the level of vitamin E present in the body. Nil or low levels of this vitamin can cause the skin to become unhealthy, eventually causing the formation of forehead wrinkles as well as skin folds in other areas of the body.
- Rapid loss of weight can cause the skin to sag, which can then easily develop wrinkles.
- The face is always open to environmental hazards and is under continuous attack from dust, chemicals, pollutants, etc. This can harm the skin and increase its vulnerability to developing wrinkles.
- Poor nutrition is another cause of premature wrinkling of the skin.
- There are certain facial expressions, like frowns and squinting, which pose greater risk to forehead wrinkles development than other emotional expressions.
This is Annelise Hagen is a popular yoga exponent who has written a book called ‘Face Yoga’, where she teaches how to get rid of forehead wrinkles through Yoga
Treatment of Forehead Wrinkles
One may get rid of forehead wrinkles in the following ways.
1. Medical Procedures
- Botox injection is one of the most common and preferred ways to get rid of forehead wrinkles and other facial creases and lines. The procedure involves Botox-induced temporary paralysis of the affected muscles which restricts their movement and thus makes the skin appear tauter.
- Cosmetic surgeries like facelift is another popular way to quickly get rid of forehead wrinkles.
- Deep wrinkles and folds on the skin can be removed via use of collagen injections and/or dermal fillers.
2. Lifestyle Changes
- Drink sufficient amounts of water, juices, and other fluids to keep the body hydrated. This will prevent dry skin and also help get rid of minor instances of forehead wrinkles.
- Eat a healthy, well-balanced diet full of essential nutrients for healthy skin.
- Long-term exposure to the UV rays of sunlight can cause skin pigmentation and abnormal blotches. It can also cause a decrease in the quantity of collagen and elastin, which then leads to premature skin aging. One can avoid the adverse effects of UV rays by using sunscreen, hats, sunglasses, and other protective measures when outdoors for prolonged periods.
- Tobacco has several chemicals which harm collagen and elastin function. Smoking causes constriction of the blood vessels in the epidermis leading to deficient blood supply to the skin. Smoking for several years can cause the facial skin to become saggy and develop deep wrinkles. Quitting smoking will help decrease the severity of premature aging and skin damage.
3. Use of Anti-wrinkle Creams
- It is important to consult a dermatologist or your health care provider before using any kind of anti-wrinkle cream to get rid of forehead wrinkles.
- Skin specialists will usually recommend the use of anti-aging or anti-wrinkle creams with hydroxy acids. The upper layer of the skin is removed by the acids, while the other ingredients of the creams aid the growth of new skin cells and also facilitate the skin recuperation process.
- Creams containing Retin-A or other drugs assist in partial alleviation of forehead wrinkles.
- Homemade anti-wrinkle creams: Minor creases or lines on the forehead can be eliminated via homemade creams. One recipe is given below:
- Place 2 tsp. of orange water flower in a bowl and dissolve 1.4 tsp. of alum in it. Then add 3 tsp. of gelatin to this mixture.
- Put ¼ cups of glycerin into the mixture after it is adequately soft. Put this solution in a double boiler and cook at minimal heat to completely dissolve the gelatin.
- Now add 1 cup of lanolin, ¼ tsp. camphor spirit, and ¼ tsp. tincture. Stir till the ingredients have completely blended.
- Remove the batter from the heat and beat it in an electric mixture to make it fluffy.
- The homemade cream is ready. Store in an air-tight box and apply every night to get rid of forehead wrinkles.
4. Home Remedies for forehead wrinkles
- Prepare a face pack by mixing orange juice, raspberry juice, olive oil, whipped egg yolk, and ground oatmeal. Apply on face and wash it off with warm water after 20 to 30 minutes.
- Apply a paste made by mixing, vitamin E capsule fillings, lemon juice, and yoghurt.
- Make a paste of yoghurt and rice water. Massage the face with it to remove forehead wrinkles.
- Create a paste using rose water, egg whites, and glycerin. Apply on face to get rid of forehead wrinkles.
- Massage the face with olive oil, aloe vera, honey, castor oil, or almond oil to get soft and supple skin.
5. Facial Workouts and Other Exercises to ease forehead wrinkles
Follow the below listed facial exercises to get rid of skin creases and forehead wrinkles:
- Gently hold onto the brow bone using the index finger and thumb. Now, use the brow muscles to raise the eyebrows while simultaneously gently pushing them down with the fingers.
- One may also just raise the eyebrows as high as possible and then revert to the original position. Perform the exercise on a regular basis to get rid of forehead wrinkles.
- Meditation, gym workouts, yoga, jogging, running, and other exercises which enhance the circulation of blood can improve the overall health of the skin and thus help eliminate wrinkles.