Tingling in right arm is a prickly feeling. There can be varied reasonsfor tingling in right arm including injuries or compression of the nerves. Some of accompanying symptoms are numbness, weakening in arms and fingers, etc. This condition can also be an indication of presence of vascular disease and should not be taken lightly as it may lead to serious medical conditions. Therefore,it is wise to consult the doctor immediately.
Symptoms of tingling in right arm
Some of the signs and symptoms of tingling in right arm are:
- Dry eyes
- Sore muscles
- Loss of hair
- Dry skin
- Weakness in arms and fingers
- Change in color of the affected area from white to blue to red
- In case of multiple sclerosis, disorder of vision is also experienced
- Long- lasting pain
Causes of tingling in right arm
Some of the causes of tingling in right arm include:
- Nutritional Deficiency: Vitamin and mineral deficiency is a common cause for tingling in the arms and legs. . Deficiency of minerals such as calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus, and vitaminslike vitamins B B12, B2, B5, C, and D cause tingling in arms and fingers. The best treatment for such nutritional deficiencies is by making changes in the diet, or via by intake of supplements.
- Multiple Sclerosis: It is a disease wherein the cells of the immune system that fight infection damage the protective covering of the nerves, which further leads to decline in the functioning of the nerves. This disease affects the nerves of the brain and the spinal cord. When the nerves of the right arm are affected it causes tingling and pain in the right arm.
- Raynaud’s Syndrome: In this condition, the arteries supplying blood to certain parts spasm suddenly, causing restriction in flow of blood. Fingers, toes, nose and ears are usually the affected areas. This results in tingling in right arm. Cold temperatures and stress usually trigger this condition.
- Injuries: Harm to the brachial plexus nerves can cause symptoms such as tinging in right arm and pain. Injuries to the shoulder blade, elbow, wrist and hands can also causing tingling and pain to the arm.
- Herniated Disc: There is a spinal disc between two successive vertebrae. At times, a part of the disc can stick out of this region and pinch adjoining nerves. This can cause numbness and tingling pain in arms and legs.
- Cervical Disc Disease: With time, the discs located between the two vertebrae can weaken causing neck pain. The ache can radiate from neck to arms and shoulders, causing numbness and tingling. One of the major reasons for this to happen is old age and injuries.
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: Carpal tunnel syndrome is a wrist disorder that happens due to nerve compression in the wrist. Possible reasons for this condition include excessive use of the wrist, diabetes, arthritis and obesity. The condition can also leading to numbness, pain and a tingling feeling.
- Some other causes of tingling in right arm can be peripheral neuropathy, ganglion cysts, kidney disease, migraine, diabetes, spinal cord injury and exposure to cold weather.
Treatment of tingling in right arm
- In case of nutritional deficiency, the mainaim is to treat the deficiency either by making changes in the diet or by intake of relevant supplements. The medical expert may prescribe supplements according to the severity of the deficiency. If the deficiency is caused due to any other disease or disorder, then the doctor will take appropriate steps to treat it accordingly.
- Currently, no cure is available for multiple sclerosis. However, a variety of drugs and medications, physical therapy, etc., can help in lessening the symptoms of multiple sclerosis.
- Some methods can be adopted for alleviating the symptoms of Raynaud’s Syndrome such as making changes in the lifestyle, keeping away from trigger factors, massage, and other relaxation techniques. In serious cases, drugs andsurgery may be recommended by the doctor.
- To treat injuries doctor may advise medications, painkillers, surgeries or physical therapy depending upon the type of injury.
- The basic treatment methods for herniated disc, cervical disc disease and carpal tunnel syndromeare use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications, physical therapy, and painkillers. If nothing works then surgery is necessary.
- If tingling in right arm and numbness is accompanied with other symptoms like chest pain, excessive perspiration, etc., then doctor should be consulted right away.
Prevention of tingling in right arm
Some preventive measures are listed below:
- One should not overuse the right arm and if work requires usage of the arms then one should switch between the two arms.
- While typing, one should maintain a proper posture, with your wrist placed straight while typing.
- If swelling is noticed in the arm after an injury, one should support the arm and cover it. Also, the injured arm should be rested till it gets healed properly to avoid further complications.