Pain in lower left side of abdomen is quite common especially in women. Abdominal pain in lower left side could occur due to many reasons. Even though pain in abdomen is common; sometimes it may be a sign of serious disease. For example, menstrual cramps or constipation can be treated at home, or with the use of over-the-counter drugs. On the other hand, if a person experiences difficulty in breathing, bleeding, and very high fever then a doctor should be consulted immediately. To discern the cause for abdomen pain in women the physician will carry out many tests such as blood test, urinalysis, and if needed X-rays or ultrasound may also be taken.
Causes of lower left abdominal pain in women
Some causes of abdominal pain in lower left side are:
- Abdominal aortic aneurysm:When the aorta in abdomen ruptures or leaks it causes serious pain in stomach. The pain usually occurs in the central part of the belly but later spreads to the back resulting in abdominal pain in lower left side.
- Food poisoning: When eating out there are chances of food poisoning. It starts off with pain in stomach, accompanied by vomiting and fever.
- Endometriosis: Endometriosis cannot be diagnosed easily. It occurs when the endometriumcells thrive outside the womb causing acute pain in abdomen. This pain increases during menstruation.
- Left kidney infection:When infection occurs in the left kidney then it causes abdominal pain in lower left side of women. Some of the symptoms are fever, vomiting, mild illness or sickness, andpain inabdomen,especially on the lower back. Affected women may also suffer from pain or burning sensations during urinationas well as increased desire to pass out urine. The pain is different from the pain caused by kidney stones. In this, the pain doesn’t occur immediately or all of a sudden; rather it progresses over a period of some days
- Diverticulitis: People usually suffer from diverticulitis after the age of sixty. It is one of the common causes for pain in lower left side of abdomen. Diverticulitis occurs because of finger like projections protruding from the linings of the intestine. This results in severe lower abdominal pain in women, especially on the left side.
- Left ectopic pregnancy: Ectopic pregnancy occurs when the fertilized egg gets implanted outside the uterus, eventually resulting in abdominal pain. When the egg gets implanted in the left fallopian tube, the process of fetus growth causes the tube to rupture, thereby causing excess loss of blood which is fatal. If a woman experiences pain in lower left or right side of abdomen accompanied by dizziness and bleeding from the vagina then physician should be consulted immediately.
- Irritable bowel syndrome: Irritable bowel syndrome is very common in women. When the gastrointestinal system does not function properly then it results in irritable bowel syndrome. Some of its symptoms are cramps in abdomen, gas, bloating and hard stool. All these causes pain in lower left side of stomach.
- Hernia: When hernia develops on the left side, it causes pain in lower left of abdomen. It may also result in bowel obstruction. Hernia occurs when a part of the organ protrudes through a cavity in the wall containing it.
- Left ovarian cyst:Acyst may develop in the right or left ovaries. When it is formed on the left ovary, it results in acute and severe pain which further spreads to the thigh. A left ovarian cyst usually affects pregnant women. When these watery cysts form in ovaries then it results in pain in areas below the naval. Some other signs and symptoms of a left ovarian cyst include irregular menstrual periods, nauseated feeling, pain during intercourse, painful bowel movement, and vomiting.It is also possible that a woman may suffer from an ovarian cyst but experience no such pains. An ultrasound scan can help detect the cyst. The doctor can then decide the choice of treatment.
- Inflammation of pelvic area:When the ovaries, uterus or fallopian tubes get infected by bacteria, it results in inflammation of the pelvic area. This leads to lower left abdominal pain in women. Other signs and symptoms are unusual vaginal discharge, fever, etc.
- Left kidney stone:When kidney stones travel to the left ureter then it causes pain in lower left side of the abdomen. The pain is sudden and very severe and spreads to other parts of the body as well.
- Cancer and tumor in left ovary:Such tumor develops due to abnormal growth of epithelial cells of the ovary. These tumors can be dangerous if they become cancerous. Signs and symptoms of the presence of cancer tissues are constipation, pain in the pelvic area, loss of weight and appetite, digestive disorders, and lower abdominal pain on the left side. Left ovarian tumor and cancer are fatal if not diagnosed and treated on time.
Treatment of lower left abdominal pain in women
- Treatment of lower left abdominal pain in women is aimed at finding out the relevant causes and then treating them.
- Kidney infection can be treated with antibiotics, while kidney stones may need surgical intervention
- Ovarian cancers can be treated via chemotherapy, radiation therapy, or surgery.