There is a lot of talk over the internet about the wonderful effects of honey and cinnamon on the overall health of an individual and its ability to cure varied ailments. So is it true, or just a hoax? The positive health effects of honey and cinnamon are true, but no one thing can offer an instant cure for different conditions. Intake of honey and cinnamon can however provide a lot of health benefits, as discussed below.
The health benefits of honey
Honey available in jars at supermarkets and grocery stores are not the ones that will provide good health benefits. A majority of them are only corn syrup with honey flavor and high fructose content.
People can derive the most benefits by consuming honey that is unprocessed and raw. Raw honey is made up of flower nectar accumulated by bees. It is unpasteurized, unheated, and completely unprocessed. Raw honey is one of the best sources of protein, even better than animal sources. It has more amino acids than eggs, beef, or cheese.
Raw honey can be found in the natural foods section of any health food store or a supermarket. Raw honey is usually solid, thick, and milky in color. It may sometimes be available in fluid form.
Some of the beneficial features of honey are listed below:
- Anti-inflammatory qualities: Varied studies have indicated that raw, unprocessed honey is a potent anti-inflammatory food. Bees add a protein called Apalbumin 1 to the nectar when making natural honey from it. This protein inhibits the WBCs from activating any unwarranted inflammatory reactions in the body. The other components of raw honey, i.e., nitric oxide and prostaglandins also help decrease inflammation.
- Healing of wounds: It has been found that honey helps hasten tissue growth, enhances the regeneration of the epidermis, and minimizes scarring. All these qualities make honey an apt solution for healing bed sores or diabetic wounds.
- Enhancement of the immune system: Regular intake of raw honey can help prevent frequent episodes of flu or colds. Raw honey contains phytonutrients which has potent antiviral and antibacterial qualities that help improve and boost the immune system.
- Prevention of gastric ulcers: Raw honey contains a hydrogen peroxide-producing enzyme known as glucose oxidase. Hydrogen peroxide is very effective in eliminating detrimental bacteria responsible for formation of intestinal ulcers.
- Relief from allergies: Intake of unprocessed, raw honey collected and jarred locally (within a radius of about 100 miles from your residence) can help mitigate allergic symptoms. Intake of honey made from local pollen gathered by local bees can help enhance the tolerance levels of the body. The anti-inflammatory qualities of honey also help alleviate bronchial and nasal inflammation.
The health benefits of cinnamon
Ceylon cinnamon is the best variety of cinnamon with varied health benefits. The other types of cinnamon may not be that beneficial. In fact, intake of large quantities of cassia cinnamon can cause toxicities of the liver and kidneys.
Some of the common health benefits of Ceylon cinnamon are listed below:
- Decrease of blood sugar levels in diabetic patients: Different studies have indicated that daily intake of cinnamon can help decrease mean fasting blood sugar levels by nearly 29 percent.
- Cancer inhibitor: It has been found that cinnamon extract can inhibit infection and multiplication of H. Pylori bacteria. This bacterium is one of the major causes of acid reflux disease and gastric ulcers, and has been linked to occurrence of lymphoma, gastric cancer, and pancreatic cancer.Cinnamon also naturally has antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties which contribute towards boosting the immune system, thereby offering safeguards against formation of chronic conditions such as cancer.
- Reduction of cholesterol: Studies have also indicated that intake of cinnamon on a daily basis helps decrease LDL cholesterol and triglycerides by nearly 27 percent and 30 percent respectively. It is thus very beneficial for diabetic patients.
- Eradication of antibiotic resistant pathogens: The rapid growth of antibiotic-resistant superbugs and associated diseases is a true threat in the current world. Cinnamon plays an important role in the elimination of E. coli bacteria, which is one of those germs that has developed resistance to traditional antibiotics.
- Persistent pain alleviation: Cinnamon, because of its anti-inflammatory qualities, has been used to find relief from pain for many centuries. It is one of the best ways to naturally alleviate chronic pain disorders.
Honey and cinnamon remedy recipes
Now that you are aware about all the health benefits of honey and cinnamon, and safely concluded that it is neither a miracle cure nor a hoax, you may give the below discussed honey and cinnamon remedy a try.
Individuals taking blood thinning medications should consult a doctor before trying any of the ‘honey and cinnamon’ home remedies.
Take 1 tablespoon of raw, unprocessed honey and add 2 tablespoons of Ceylon cinnamon powder in it. Add water to this mixture. Ensure that the solution is not excessively diluted, nor too thick so as to prevent easy passage down the throat. Also, make sure to never overdose on either of the primary ingredients.
Can honey and cinnamon help you lose weight?
Honey and cinnamon have not been proven to reduce weight scientifically but they can definitely bring down blood sugar and cholesterol levels, that cause health complications and obesity. Take a teaspoon of honey, add 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder and pour it into boiling water to bring down the cholesterol level. You can also make cinnamon and honey tea, by boiling both the ingredients in a cup of water.